If you want to delve into the Sainsbury Centre collections and share your enthusiasm and knowledge with our visitors, train to be a Volunteer Guide.
What are the benefits of being a Guide?
- Learn about a world-class building and an outstanding collection of world art
- Enjoy meeting and talking with people of all ages
- Make new friends, as part of a team of over 60 trained guides
- Become involved with a range of stimulating exhibitions and events alongside the Sainsbury Centre’s team of staff
- Free Sainsbury Centre membership
What does being a Guide entail?
- Welcoming visitors to the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts
- Giving general tours of the building and the Sainsbury Collection to school and adult groups
- Giving informed talks on special exhibitions and themed subjects
What sort of skills do I need?
- An interest in world art
- An interest in, and enthusiasm for, the Sainsbury Centre and its activities
- A clear voice, a friendly, pleasant manner and good communication skills
How do I become a guide?
All guides must take part in a training course on all aspects of the building and collections. It also covers presentation skills and working with children and adults, with mentoring by current guides. A very successful course ran in 2015 which resulted in several new recruits to the guiding team, it is therefore unlikely that another course will be offered in the near future.
What does the training involve?
Course participants attend lectures, submit written essays, give talks and presentations.
After qualifying, you will need to attend ongoing monthly meetings to keep up-to-date with current developments.
How much of my time do I need to give?
Once trained, you will need to commit at least one day per month to guiding at the Centre.
There will also be many opportunities to deepen your interests and become involved in the education programmes at the Centre.
Register your interest
If you wish to register your interest in a future course, contact Lisa Blowers at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01603 591033